I finally had a block of time to sew these borders back on. I'd taken them off before Dad died and had not attempted to work on them again. So, after getting home from work today, I decided to "get 'er done!"
This first picture shows the top as it looked when I got it. I had laid it out on the floor and realized that the borders were way too wavy to do any quilting.
After removing and re-attaching the borders, you can see a bit of a difference in how much flatter it lays. I cut off 1 1/2" to 2" of each border! I had to really work with the excess fabric of the center and there are a lot of places that have puckers but I think I can disguise it with quilting. That's the problem with so many bias edges within the quilt top itself. I had to be really careful not to stretch it at all.
The next step is to prepare the lining, or backing, as some folks call it. I bought it a long time ago and it has been waiting patiently on the top shelf in the closet. Maybe I can get that started tomorrow because tonight is Kerrington night! Yup, Rob and April are going to the fair so we get to watch sweet Baby K. April won some tickets from a radio show to the Motor Cross races and they'll stay for the concert. I'm hoping we can keep Kerry Berry all night, but we'll see.