Sunday, February 02, 2014

New friends, new ideas

Is it possible I have learned something new, again?! Of course! This time, thanks to my new quilting friend, Rebecca, my blogging may resume with some new-found skills. We will see how I do. For now, let me try posting my latest little creation. I've also included a pictorial tutorial on how I join my binding ends and you can't tell where the binding starts or stops. 

Here is how I join the ends of my binding.

Step one  - leave at least 5-6" of binding tail on either side.

Step 2 - lay right tail over left making sure you can see the end of the bottom tail. At this point, you want to make sure that the binding is laying flat along the edge of the quilt and I even pull lightly to give it the slightest (very slight) bit of tension.

I lay my 2.5" ruler on top of the binding lining it up with the edge of the bottom lining. This is the crucial point. You will mark to cut the top (right) binding strip with the measurement of the width of your binding. If your binding is 2.25" then you would measure 2.25" from the edge of the bottom strip.



Open the ends. 


Place the ends at a 90 degree angle, lining up the ends. Pin. Fold binding back as it should go and see how it fits. If you're satisfied...

Sew from corner to corner. 

Check once more to be sure it it lays nice and flat along the quilt edge.

Cut off the triangle. Finger press seam open, fold and finish sewing on the binding. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back! I checked not too long ago, and now I'm so happy to see you back blogging!