Thursday, May 31, 2007

Small hospital incident

No, it's not anything bad. In fact, it's one of the brighter spots of Dad's hospital stay. Those of you that read this in QOR messages, please disregard the first 3 paragraphs. :-)

Dad has not slept through the night for about 2 months. Every night finds us calling the nurse for various reasons and just cat-napping. One night this past week, the dietary aide walked in with Dad's dinner tray. He sat it down, asked if we needed anything else and, as he turned to walk to the door, he turned back to us and said, "Have a blessed evening!". I said, "Thank you. You, too." At that moment, I just KNEW Dad would not have any trouble that night. Guess what? Dad turned on his favorite side, for the first time in the hospital, and slept from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m. without even turning! The nurse came in at 3:30 or so and asked me if he was alright. That kinda made me chuckle because I thought, "that's YOUR job!" lol I had been waking every so often waiting for him to call my name and so I'd watch to make sure he was breathing. Kinda like when you stand over your children to watch them sleep?

I am so thankful to that nice man who told us to have a blessed evening. Why else would Dad sleep so restfully? No one had ever said that to us before. Yes, I can rationalize it with, "He had dialysis that day and it wore him out". Well, he's had dialysis before and he never slept thru the night! lol

Just wanted to share a thankful moment.

Thanks again for your thoughts and prayers. We're still waiting patiently for Dad to get stronger and to walk on his own. He has about a week of antibiotics left and then will move him into a regular rehab facility, I think.

This is Dad on his 77th birthday, May 30. Those things you see coming out of his neck are the ports through which they do dialysis right now. They have implanted a more permanent graft in his left arm for later on. He slept through most of his birthday, but when someone came in, they wished him a happy one and he always smiled and said, "thank you".
These are little crocheted washcloths I worked on while in Lubbock this past week. I need to find some bright colored yarn to make more. They work up really fast, now that I know what I'm doing.

Best get myself out of here and ready for work. Our shop owner lost her brother yesterday. He had a major heart attack after having had heart problems for several years. He was only 64.

No comments: