Saturday, March 03, 2007

Bloomin' Rings



A quick note before I head off to work. This block is the start of a Double Wedding Ring quilt that will be my challenge piece for the Amarillo retreat this year. I came home last year from the retreat with 220 5" squares that we swapped. I had not even thought about what I might do, but, since I've been wanting to do a larger DWR (larger than all the tablerunners I did last year) I thought I'd do this. Since the rings themselves did not use up but about a little more than half of all the squares, I decided to do a little applique flower in the center of the rings. Not sure yet what I'll do with the center of the flower. Probably a round yellow applique. Maybe a button? Any ideas? I also have to decide on the colors of the cornerstones. I'm thinking maybe red and blue jewel tones but I kinda like the colors in the pattern picture.

Ok, off to finish getting ready for work. Oh, thank you Lord for seeing Rob through his wisdom teeth extractions and for the fact that Dad is still feeling well.

7 comments:

May Britt said...

It is so beautiful and you must add a yellow button in the flower. I have always wanted to make a double weeding ring quilt. Using scraps makes it so colourful.

Hanne said...

What a nice twist with applique flowers in a DWR block.

Nancy said...

I'd put a little yellow yo-yo in the center of each. But then I love yo-yos. :-)

Holly said...

I've not seen blooming DWRs before. That's really pretty! Thanks for stopping by. Fortunate for me I have very curly hair so it can hide a lot of mistakes :)

Anonymous said...

It's beautiful with the applique flowers. A small yellow circle in the centre would go well.

Unknown said...

The first block looks very promising. I would put a button or a yoyo the same colour as the corner stones in the middle of the appiquéed flowers. Can´t wait to see more of those!

Shelina said...

Oh my gosh you just started this quilt and you are already done? And I have been scardy cat about it all this time? Do tell, how does it work? Adding the flowers is such a wonderful idea.