Saturday, March 24, 2007

Tornado aftermath

What a weekend! The picture you see here DSC01253 is my friend, Leota's house. If you click on the picture, it will take you to more pictures of the destruction. She had a mobile home sitting directly in front of her house, across the dirt road, and it is totally demolished. In fact, it fell on her car! She and Brian were inside the house at the time, but they managed to come out of it unhurt. The renters in the mobile home were also inside the trailer and were tossed about when the twister picked it up. They came out from under the rubble without a scratch! Miracles...

There has been no sewing at my house the last day or two. I tried to go to work this morning, but the power was out and still is. So, I spent the morning with my dad and then Rob and I drove around to see the destruction where we could. Then I spent the afternoon at the Hispanic Expo at our new Convention Center where Judy had a booth set up for her business. They went ahead with the Expo in light of all the commotion from the tornado and will donate some of the proceedings to the relief effort.

Don't know if we'll go to the gym tonight. We missed last night and the night before so we really should go. Where was I during the tornado? Judy, Joe and I were at a Mexican food restaurant where we were told to get under the tables when we heard a tornado was headed our way. Under the tables?! Get real! We are BIG people and there was no way we were going to fit under those things! Anyway, management told us to leave if we wanted to, without paying the bill! I did leave Judy's name and number... We headed to Judy's house all the while being pelted with quarter to golf-size hail. In the light of day, we see where the twister touched down only about a half block from her house and turned over a motor home.

On a quilty note, I've made two Mary's Flower Garden blocks from Quiltsmart.



I would like to make at least 4 - 6 more blocks but I need to find more batiks. I had a set of FQ batiks that I picked up in Amarillo last time we were there. I can't believe I don't have any more in my stash!

Time to change my clothes in case we work out.

8 comments:

Judith said...

Wow can't believe the people in the trailer were unharmed after such a fly.

Marla said...

Oh My Goodness! Glad to hear you are ok. I used to live in tornado alley. Scary stuff.

Mary Johnson said...

How scary - glad you all are OK.

Laurie Ann said...

Glad you are safe!!!

Unknown said...

Very happy to hear you came unharmed. I love the quilting you did on the pink quilt and some more batik grandmother´s garden to be seen sounds promising! Take care.

Kairle Oaks said...

My goodness, Veronica! What a scare!!! So glad to hear that you are safe.

Patti said...

Goodness gracious! Thank God everyone came out of that alive! Is your friend Leota's house OK or did it suffer a lot of damage also? I can't tell from the picture. To me tornados are the scariest of all possible disasters because you get so little warning. Of course around here the danger is earthquakes, and we get no warning of that at all. Still, I'd rather live here where tornados are very, very rare.

Linda C said...

How scary for Leota and the trailer tenants. It is that time of year but I could not help but wonder how you fared when I heard were the storms had struck.