Monday, January 01, 2007

New Year's Day, 2007

New Year's Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual. ~Mark Twain

Which is the reason I no longer make New Year's resolutions! LOL We have had an uneventful start to 2007, thank you, Lord. Some of us have runny noses and sore throats and an incision that is taking it's time to heal, but, other than that, we are all doing fine.

Before Judy came over today, I worked on putting the lotto blocks together for the QOR comfort quilt. I still need to put the binding on since I decided it is big enough and probably can go without borders. I want to hurry and finish so I can send it to the recipient.
This is Sunshine, Judy's silky terrier. She loves to curl up on fabric. This is Judy's top just before we got it ready for quilting.
Judy and I spent the evening quilting. This after she made dinner for us. A new pork dish. It was delicious. She spent all day cooking, she said. Then, she spent all night sewing. What a Suzy Homemaker she is! Here is her finished (almost) quilt. She took it home to sew down the binding. I am so proud of her! If anyone had told me that my sister would make a quilt before the year was out, I would have said they were talking to the wrong person! But, she has really taken to this. She's even planning her next quilt! I think she's going to have to buy a newer sewing machine, though. I don't mind her using mine, but it's kinda hard for both of us to sew if we have to share a machine. She does have one, but it's about 25 years old. Works well to piece, but will need some adjusting for actual quilting. For instance, the feed dogs don't drop. She does have the plate to cover them but I've never worked with that. And, she will have to get an embroidery foot. A lot for a fledgling quilter to think about! That's her in the picture.


Jim is off tomorrow. Kind of a strange situation because of the national day of recognition for President Ford. It is actually Jim's day off this week, so he will have another day off coming. If their regular day off falls on a holiday, they usually have off the day before. Of course, since today is January 1, everyone is off. He is really a little worried about when they DO get back to work since they will have about 5 days worth of mail instead of just 3 because of the weather delays last week. It's going to be a mess at the post office no matter how you look at it.


I will work tomorrow. No holiday for me! lol That's ok. Seems like no holiday for the bills, either! Maybe I can get home early enough to put the binding on the donation quilt. I need to work on birthday blocks for January, too. Last, but not least, I need to clean my sewing room. Maybe if I say it often enough, I'll believe it.
















2 comments:

Linda C said...

Well, look at Ms. Judy go! Great job on that top and quilting it too! Tell her that I pieced for 11 years before I even attempted to machine quilt one. I still avoid free motion like the plague but man, watch me go on the straightaways, LOL. If she is talking about her next quilt, then she needs to make an investment even if it is a little Jem or something.

LOL about this comment on resolutions: "Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual." How true is that?

Oh, I foundation pieced that feathered star and had to add some lines to the original pattern to do parts of it. I don't know whether you can see that in the photo? I'll send it onto you if you want?

Shelina said...

I was wondering why we didn't get any mail yesterday! I hope that the creditors will understand that we couldn't pay them before today!